Edited by Karen Joy Fowler, Pat Murphy, Debbie Notkin & Jeffrey Smith, Tachyon Publications, 2006.
Featuring work by 2004 Tiptree winners Joe Haldeman and Johanna Sinisalo, as well as stories from the 2004 Tiptree shortlist and a selection of earlier winners and shortlisted stories. Other writers in this volume include Gwyneth Jones, Jonathan Lethem, Raphael Carter, Eileen Gunn, Ursula K. Le Guin, Nalo Hopkinson, and others. The nonfiction includes an essay from Tiptree’s biographer Julie Phillips, along with others by Nalo Hopkinson and Gwyneth Jones.
This is the second in a series of annual anthologies, the previous being, oddly enough, The James Tiptree Award Anthology 1. An earlier anthology, Flying Cups and Saucers, published in 1998, is now out of print. There is no overlap in stories among the anthologies. That would be so redundant!
“Stereotype-busting stories and gender-bending romances.” — SciFi.com
“Both dark and sparkling, topical and timeless, these stories wrap around us.” — Jewelle Gomez, author, The Gilda Stories
“Each work in this recommended collection is paradoxically both entertaining and instructive.” — BookLoons
“The Tiptree Award anthology series is a great idea, well executed.” — Lady Churchill’s Rosebud online journal
“A trove of fascinating thought.” —Locus Magazine
“The contributions demonstrate a rare gift for interpreting an issue in new and surprising ways. Recommended for most libraries.” — Library Journal
“Top-shelf storytelling that deserves appreciation far beyond science fiction fans.” — Time Out Chicago
$14.95, Trade paperback, 250 pages
- Introduction, Debbie Notkin
- Letter to Rudolf Arnheim, James Tiptree, Jr.
- Congenital Agenesis of Gender Ideation, Raphael Carter
- The Gift, L. Timmel Duchamp
- excerpts from Camouflage, Joe Haldeman
- excerpts from Troll: A Love Story, Johanna Sinisalo
- Looking for Clues, Nalo Hopkinson (essay)
- Nirvana High, Eileen Gunn & Leslie What
- Five Fucks, Jonathan Lethem
- All of Us Can Almost…, Carol Emshwiller
- The Brains of Female Hyena Twins, Gwyneth Jones
- Another Story, or a Fisherman of the Inland Sea, Ursula K. Le Guin
- Kissing Frogs, Jaye Lawrence