Edited by Karen Joy Fowler, Pat Murphy, Debbie Notkin & Jeffrey Smith. Tachyon Publications, 2005.
This anthology gathers short fiction, novel excerpts and essays that were chosen by the Tiptree Award jurors in 2003, and in previous years. In addition, the collection includes essays and commentary by Ursula K. Le Guin, Joanna Russ, Suzy McKee Charnas, and Alice Sheldon. Booklist described the volume as “A superior array of creative and thoughtful writing for both genders.”
The first in a new series of anthologies celebrating the Tiptree Award, this volume features works selected by the jury of the 2003 Award. There is an excerpt from the winning novel, Set This House in Order by Matt Ruff, and short fiction by Richard Calder, Kara Dalkey, Carol Emshwiller, Sandra McDonald, Ruth Nestvold and Geoff Ryman. There are also stories by Karen Joy Fowler and Kelly Link from earlier award years; a new translation of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Snow Queen,” the story which inspired two modern retellings in this book; introductions by Karen Joy Fowler and Pat Murphy; new essays by Suzy McKee Charnas, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Joanna Russ; and a memoir by Alice Sheldon/James Tiptree herself.
“Both dark and sparkling, topical and timeless, these stories wrap around us…” — Jewelle Gomez, author, The Gilda Stories
“Really worth the ducats…important in the speculative fiction field.” — Bookslut.com
“…involving, gender-breaking stories…” — Midwest Book Review
“The stories explore all varieties of gender in thoughtful and provocative ways.” — SF Site
$15.95, Trade paperback, 302 pages
- Introduction, Pat Murphy and Karen Joy Fowler
- Everything But the Signature is Me, James Tiptree, Jr.
- The Ghost Girls of Rumney Mill, Sandra McDonald
- Boys, Carol Emshwiller
- Genre: A Word Only the French Could Love, Ursula K. Le Guin
- excerpts from Set This House in Order, Matt Ruff
- Judging the Tiptree, Suzy McKee Charnas
- The Catgirl Manifesto: An Introduction, Richard Calder
- Looking Through Lace, Ruth Nestvold
- “Tiptree” and History, Joanna Russ
- What I Didn’t See, Karen Joy Fowler
- The Snow Queen, Hans Christian Anderson
- The Lady of the Ice Garden, Kara Dalkey
- Travels with the Snow Queen, Kelly Link