The awesome folks at the University of Oregon took videos of the entire Tiptree symposium last month, and they’re now all available for your viewing pleasure.
Our founding mother Pat Murphy says:
I had an amazing time at last month’s James Tiptree Symposium at the University of Oregon. I have never been to a conference that left me so moved and so inspired. For me, the symposium was a reminder of all the reasons that Karen [Joy Fowler] and I started the Tiptree Award back in 1991.
- Welcoming remarks and Julie Phillips’s keynote speech. Julie (pictured above) wrote James Tiptree, Jr.: The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon.
- Excerpts from Tiptree’s correspondence with Ursula K. Le Guin and Joanna Russ; radio play of Tiptree’s story “The Women Men Don’t See”
- Panel on publishing, with Jacob Weisman (Tachyon Publications), L. Timmel Duchamp (Aqueduct Press) and Gordon van Gelder and Lisa Rogers (Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction)
- Ursula K. Le Guin, Suzy McKee Charnas, and David Gerrold on Tiptree, moderated by Karen Joy Fowler
- Jeff Smith discusses the Tiptree papers
- Audio recording of Tiptree/Sheldon making literary notes and reviewing Heinlein’s I Will Fear No Evil
- Award motherboard members and jurors on Tiptree and the Award, with Jeanne Gomoll, Pat Murphy, Heather Whipple, and Margaret McBride, moderated by Joan Haran.
Check out the videos; they’re the next best thing to having been there! And please consider donating to support our continuing work.
If you’d rather not use PayPal, you can contact us or send us an email.